Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Thursday 20 December 2012

Let the holidays begin!

Once again, I have been a familiar sight, running from one place to the other, in a state of constant multi-tasking. I really deserve to cut a lithe figure, rather than a chunky one!
In addition to the usual dashing around, I've been chocolate making and selling. I made up a little time for all the other things I have to do by very nearly selling out completely at my first stall, held at the English Centre - 'A Little Bit of Britain' - here in Alcala la Real on Saturday morning. I was absolutely delighted and rather dismayed at the same time as I'd intended going to Montefrio on Sunday to another craft market there. I don't have enough stock to do it now because as well as an excellent morning, I've had a stream of personal shoppers coming to the house. So, having squirreled a few chocolates away for my niece (hope you read this Emily, I got the message from your mum!) I'm pretty well cleaned out! It hasn't been a profitable exercise - it rarely is - but neither has it left me with kilos of chocolate left with no takers. A big 'phew' and a big 'hurray'!!!

Exam time at the Academy - in the last week of term, which I find very sad but I was told that the children need to be motivated to work right up until the last lesson and exams are the way it's done here. I did try to argue for them to be a week early but no, not an option. Although I only had to arrange the exam for the first level, the group I teach entirely on my own, I also had to administer the Listening and Speaking tests for the other groups and it made me unexpectedly jittery. Anyway, glad to announce that they are all done and finished and my level one children produced some wonderful results and we still had time to play. In fact, with a couple of classes, we managed to play some of my favourite games - including Pictionary, Kim's Game, using vocabulary they've been learning recently, of course - plus a madcap game we used to play at my own childhood parties. You need a bar of chocolate - wrapped - on a tray, which can only be eaten using a knife and fork. Everyone sits round in a circle and takes turns to shake the dice - a six allows you to attack the chocolate but you must first put on a hat, a scarf and a pair of gloves, preferably two sizes too big!   Whilst the lucky person makes a start, the dice continues and as soon as another six is thrown, that person must don the required apparel and continue attacking the chocolate. And so on. It's great fun and I played with an equal amount of enthusiasm as the kids. And ate my fair share of chocolate too...I haven't always had time to eat properly these past few days and I was very hungry!

Scene from one of the many performances at Alonso de Alcala Primary School

Nativity plays and Christmas theatre at school. I missed Romy's performance as I was teaching but was able to go to Ruy's the next night. It was great fun if rather chaotic and very loud! His class were the last one and whilst the other two year six groups performed plays, rather well it must be said, Ruy's class performed two songs including playing the accompanying instruments - it was beautiful and so appreciated that they had to perform an encore. Ruy clearly loved every moment and his parents were a tad emotional. Romy also confessed to feeling like she was going to cry...


This is another group whose performance I particularly enjoyed not least because it included a very touching scene showing well how the school integrates their pupils with special needs. The Star is a girl who has autism and cannot cope with being touched. She was given free rein to run around the stage, which she clearly enjoyed, whilst gentle but comical stage play was made by the Kings - who, of course, had to follow her. She eventually came to a stop and remained on stage to take the applause.

And eventually, I too got to see Romy's performance as yesterday, all the performances were repeated for the benefit of the whole school. I was misinformed many times about the timings...resulting in me running back and forth from school four times that day - nay, five as I had to go to collect her at the end of the day too! I have a very distinctive black and white raincoat with a Rennie Mackintosh design on it and as I crossed the road for the fourth time, the migrant workers who are here for the olive harvest but who spend most of their time on a wall outside the bus station, all cheered me on as I sped off yet again - this time to deliver a dozen chocolate snails to a friend who was meeting me elsewhere in the town!

Romy's class were the last on and they did a little play written by their teacher. I confess to not understanding very much of it - the microphones were too loud and exaggerated the children's lines so I couldn't work out what they were saying - but I followed the advice I give my students... I listened for gist. I got the gist. Romy played a grandmother and made a lovely one. Her lines were as clear as a bell and she had plenty - she was pleased about that. I didn't have the camera though as FR had it with him in Granada, but I had taken a couple of Romy the night before - though FR took none of her or Ruy on stage preferring to video them in their performances. He doesn't have a blog-mentality at all!!








But here she is in character in our house.













Last night was my last teaching day until 8th January and I felt some relief as I came home and saw that Romy had decorated the tree. And now I must away to clean and sort my scruffy house and move beds and furniture around in preparation  for the arrival of 'mis suegros' - my in-laws - who arrive tonight. FR has gone to Marbella to an Arab Sheik's for lunch. Honestly - sounds ridiculous, but our friend is negotiation an oil deal with the Sheik...olive oil, that is....and he needs a translator. Should be quite a good lunch, I think.

This will be last post before Christmas. The children and I are flying off to my family's on 26th, so hopefully will be catching up with friends there too - we are rather excited. I suspect this has been a disjointed, rambling post - I don't have time to proof-read it either - but hopefully after today, I can slow down and really enjoy a lovely double-family Christmas. We're back on New Year's Eve.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.


18 comments:

  1. So glad the chocolate selling went well, you'll just have to make more next time. Romy looks completely adorable, and your week sounds incredibly ,but enjoyably hectic. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas... and then a great visit home....really hope to see you when you are in Huddesrfield...let me know where and when. Jxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janice. It's not quite calm yet but we're getting there and there's a bit part of me that enjoys hectic, I must admit. Just having a break...!
      We're really looking forward to coming home too - I will definitely let you know where and when! Have a wonderful Christmas yourselves. Axxx

      Delete
  2. It's so very interesting to hear about Spanish schools - they sound very good. We've many teachers amongst family & friends & at the moment they are full of pessimism about the UK state system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our children were at a wonderful school in the UK and their Spanish one doesn't really stand comparison. I don't like the approach to learning' being a temporary commitment to memory of the facts needed to pass an exam. There's no practical side to the teaching at all. That said, our children are thriving and seem happy at school and Romy has a lovely teacher. Parents are also very committed to making extremely good costumes. There is a much higher expectation on children to really study for themselves and this may stand them in good stead in the future...time will tell. Axxx

      Delete
  3. Hectic...but it sounds such fun!
    I loved the chocolate game and I'll try it on the housefull who are starting to arrive today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from a family that loves playing games at Christmas and the chocolate one is great fun! My mum always makes up a complicated game for us each year - but really it's an excuse to give us all another present. I do a 'Pass the Parcel' with forfeits in rather than gifts - some nice, some not! Have fun with your houseful!! Axxx

      Delete
  4. i'm exhausted just reading this . Hope the run up to Christmas doesn't continue at this pace. Have a great Christmas Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My in laws have arrived now so from this point on, it's Christmas and also an unavoidable chaos in our house - beyond my control and I'm happy to go along with it! Merry Christmas. Axxx

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I reckon you've earned your holiday, Annie! Well done on the chocolate sales and the children's school performances sound wonderful. I remember the chocolate bar with a knife and fork from many years ago, much harder than it sounds, but such fun. Now slow down a bit and enjoy yourself. Have a wonderful double Christmas and see you in the New Year. P xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua - we were commenting at the same time - me to BtoB and you to me. We must have passed very close in the ether! As I just said, my erratic in laws have arrived and all was calm and welcoming at the point of them reaching the front door. They're still quiet from the long journey but I know it won't last...looking forward to a noisy and jolly Christmas. All the best to you all, Axxx

      Delete
  6. Chatty, not disjointed. I'm going to try the chocolate game with my lot ... it sounds familiar, I think I may have played something similar at a party once.

    Have a wonderful Christmas my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Annie - I excel at disjointed chatter in fact. Enjoy the chocolate game - we played it last night and it went down very well. And the little ones beat the big ones at Kim's Game no problem! Have a lovely Christmas too. Much love, Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, can you throw some of that fabulous energy my way please.........enjoy your well earned holiday Annie, and have a lovely Christmas with your family. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just about ready to drop now! Thank you so much and the same to you and yours. Axxx

      Delete
  9. Eek! How fascinating to read of that game with chocolate and dice. THAT is how I learn't fractions at a wonderful tiny primary school in Scotland. The teacher sent someone out to buy two huge bars and then each time someone had a square we had to work out the permutation(s) of what fraction had gone. It was the most lovely way to learn. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lovely! I use the memory game for practicing vocabulary with my younger classes but usually, the chocolate game descends into chaos and competition very quickly amongst the rather excitable Spanish children I have in my class. Still, special occasions only and it's great fun. Merry Christmas to you too and a Very Happy New Year.
      Axxx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. All good thank you - busy and at times a little too much so but we've packed a lot in. And now it's the new year - and hoping we all have a good one. Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!