Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Sunday 27 May 2012

Sunday morning stroll

At least, I presumed it was a stroll we were embarking on.

FR had been out walking earlier in the week with a friend who is learning English. He's a biologist and lover of nature and during the spring and summer months, he takes people on guided tours of the Andalucian countryside. You can see his brochure and what he offers on his website, called Natureda. We have just finished a rather better translation into English for him - what is currently here is just a Google translate, I think - although I rather like reading it in this format!

Anyway, FR and JC go walking together, talking about the landscapes, wildlife and countryside around Alcala la Real - in English. When he returned on Thursday, FR was full of where he'd just been and keen to take us all. So off we set.

Darwin - newly clipped and ready for adventure - and yes, we did the first bit in the car...

Looking back at Alcala la Real - fantastic view


Family stringing out from the start...don't know where Mateo is and Romy was behind me.

Ah - Mateo was a long way ahead - you can just see him in the centre of the photo... lost Ruy though.

In amongst all the trees, there was a sheep-shearing fest going on -
you can't see anything but you could certainly hear it!

There are some amazing dry stone walls.

Pause to quote:

I am a drystone waller
All day I drystone wall
Of all appalling callings
Drystone walling's worst of all.
                            Pam Ayres

I have quoted Wordsworth and other notables in the past but I'm afraid I cannot see or say 'drystone wall' without Pam Ayres' lines reverberating in my head. The children are sick of hearing it but I'm afraid they will not be able to resist saying it to themselves (and their own children?) in future years...parenting has such responsibilities!

Amazing views across to the next village.

We'd come to see a cave - was this it?

No - there was more walking to be done. Now Romy's ahead of me.

Zoom in on an ancient watch tower, known as an atalaya.

Taking a break whilst FR tries to find his bearings...

Cooler under the olive trees

Flying across the sky is a pair of crows - apparently quite rare ones.
You will have to take my word for it that their beaks are red.


At last, we find the cave

Family-sized with interesting sleeping ledges....

Hidden from view by a big fig tree.

As caves go, it was OK. Fortunately, FR had taken some pruning shears with him so that he could cut away the brambles as we followed him. Not quite as radical as a machete but effective enough.

We returned to Alcala and went up to La Mota to capture the view from the other side of the town.



And Darwin took time out to sit in the shade and chill.



We came home and ate chilled watermelon and have just finished off a pile of delicious little lamb chops, salad and patatas fritas.

And now, methinks a siesta is just what I need.



19 comments:

  1. A great walk Annie, I enjoyed coming with you on it. I love the idea of FR clearing the brambles as he pushes on ahead....and darwin really does suit his haircut. Enjoy the rest of your day. J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, it was a lovely walk and actually, we wouldn't have needed the brambles clearing at all - if only we'd gone the easy way! Never mind, we came back that way. :-) Axxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for taking me on your walk..just how hot was it, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a pleasure to have your company, Fly. Fortunately for us, there was just the one of you - still quite insect-free at the moment...and for your information, in the sun, we reached a cosy 30 degrees, whilst in the cave, it was around 20. The breeze must have been coming from the mountains as it felt cooling, rather than stifling. Perfect! Axx

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful walk Annie - it looks just magical x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery is quite breathtaking, Karen - always strikes me as epic, biblical and historical. It is so different from an English countryside - which always seems magical to me, with its dappled and mossy effects. Both very special when they're at their best. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Nice to know you spend time away from your computer mateo :P
    that looks breathtaking,I should come to where you are instead of the beaches if i go to spain :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does occasionally get dragged out, Emily. It is stunning here and if you come to Spain, do let us know and come and see us. Axx

      Delete
    2. What do you mean dragged out?!

      Delete
    3. Mateo - do not comment under my name - if you have something to say, do it under your own profile! Please. Mother.xx

      Delete
  5. Oh dear! I'm doomed - Pam Ayre's poem will become a frequent "ear worm" here in Yorkshire, home of dry stone walls.
    Lovely photos - are the red-beaked crows called choughs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Nilly - being from Yorkshire, I've had a lot of practice with this poem n the past but it will always stay with me. My husband is at this moment searching for the proper reference - yes, a 'chova piquiroja' sounds very like a red-beaked chough to me. Axxx

      Delete
  6. Super photos of a fascinating walk, Annie. I love the one of Alcala la Real. Isn't the fortress HUGE! I've never seen before just how much ground it covers. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly dominates the area, Perpetua. It is genuinely awe-inspiring and I can't understand why it's not better known, especially as it's been here since the 14th century...I do wonder whether there's a decision not to market it to avoid all the tourists that would surely flock here otherwise. It's not even on the list of places to visit in Andalucia. Being in Jaen, rather than its neighbouring Granada, Malaga and Cordoba could have something to do with it too - Jaen is not seen as much of a crowd puller, even though it contains probably the most wonderful natural park in the whole of the country. Well, when you visit, you'll see it in all its glory!! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos Annie. And that certainly wasn't a stroll (well not what I would consider to be one anyway).

    I had to laugh at the Pam Ayres poem because it kept going through my head when Mr A was rebuilding the dry stone wall here during the winter. I didn't recite it to him because he just wouldn't get the humour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Ayak. And I am laughing too, because the poem was going through my head when you were writing about Mr A's wall-building! She had a way with words, did Pam! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an absolutely beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep finding more, Maud. I love the view of Alcala from this place. Thanks, Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!