Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Thursday 2 June 2011

My little habit..

Most days, when I've left the children at school, I walk back up the high street and call in at the 'Crema Caramelo' to buy our daily bread. It is the best cake and bread shop around - it is full of wonderful creations and smells and more types of bread than any town really needs.

And the best bread, in our opinion, is the barra casera - or house special french stick - which is long, not too thin, with a rich, well-developed crusty outside and a light, well-cooked inside. It's never spoggy  - another word used widely by my family but not necessarily known everywhere. If you're not familiar with it, in our context, it means undercooked bread, still doughy and slightly damp.
(In some other places, spoggy can be a word for chewing gum, but come on, surely everyone knows that chewing gum is called chuddy!)

But I digress....I was talking about the wonderful barras - which not only taste delicious, but are always on offer at buy three for one euro! So I buy three.

And here's my little habit - as I walk across the road and back to our piso, I cannot resist snapping off the end - and if it's a little hook-shaped, which is sometimes is, then even better - and munching it as I come up to the 5th floor in our rickety and temperamental lift.

Makes my day!


4 comments:

  1. Three for a euro! Gosh, Spain is a LOT cheaper than France, where I will expect to pay close to a euro for just one :-(

    I chuckled when I read about your nibbling habit - exactly like DH who always helps himself to one of the ends on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do need to stress that I stop at the end too. I don't allow myself to go beyond what you see in the picture - but goodness me, it's hard!! I think this bread is actually as good as the proper French stuff - I have been spoilt by good French bread in the past but cannot praise the 'pan' of Alcala highly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww it looks yummy....i''d trade all my chuddy for it. D:
    But I don't have any. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like what we call Government Bread here - the staple loaf of all Turkish diets. It's good bread and at 65 kurus (25p) a loaf its a bargain. Up until last week we had a fantastic new bread shop in the village, we were all loving it until some jealous rival reported them on a trumped up charge and they got closed down. Grrrr! K xxx

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!